Saturday, February 16, 2013

They're Here! Home Sweet Home

It's official - they're here - February 16, 2013!  It was so exciting to see Laurence and Donna Binder, Bluebonnet Hills Alpaca Ranch,  pulling in with the trailer in back!  All three boys were cushing (lying down with all four legs under them) when I first peeked in and looked quite comfortable.  Pancho and Lefty stood up as soon as I poked the camera in, but as you can see Sammy was content to stay down.

Fortunately we had put the new locks on the gates ( easy open ) and filled the  hay rack, so we were ready for them.  They got out of the trailer with their halters on and so we added a lead and off they walked into their new home.  Laurence showed us how to trim their nails and we petted and hugged on them.  Fortunately that doesn't have to be done often and I plan on walking them down the driveway, so that will help keep them filed down.  They have soft pads, not hooves, so they're very easy on the land. I practiced putting the halter on and then we took them off and let them take off to explore their space on their own.

Last weekend when I was on the couch, Bill got the lights put up around the stall and in the feed/storage room.  We put a soft floor in their stall, it could have been the floor of many colors, but decided on the grey side.  I don't think they would care one way or the other, but grey it is.  The rack is in and when the side gate is open, they will have access from inside and out.  The auto-water bowl is the covered area as is the hay rack.  Bill has worked very hard to have everything ready for them, including picking up hay this morning. We have the stall gated so when we give them their food in the mornings they will come in and we can catch them to put their halters on.  The more I work with them the more they will grow used to me and hopefully will not always run the other way.  As long as they're on their leads, they are sweet and nuzzle us, but once they're free they want to stay that way!  You walk toward them and they walk away!  They are not dogs!!!!

Laurence looked at some patches of grass that I was questioning and so I dug some up once they left and it was just Bill and I and the boys.  Oh, that reminds me we do have another boy, Jack, and he was in his yard when the boys arrived.  He can see them and he barked and barked, so I let him come back to their area.  The plan was for him to stop at the gate, like he did last week, but the boys weren't there last week, so he jumped right through and headed right for them.  They got scared and began to walk away at a pretty fast pace and of course he loves to run and chase, so this looked like a game to him and before we knew it there was a chase on in the yard around us.  We caught Jack and the other three just went back to eating as though nothing had happened.  Needless to say we have some work to do on their relationship!

Back to the grass issue, I needed to weed eat and I did and they just wandered around as though I wasn't doing anything.  They would stop and look at me and go back to their business.  They really seemed to enjoy looking around and oh my goodness they seemed to really enjoy our grass!  Honestly this is even more exciting than I thought it would be, but at the same time it was comfortable!  Like they were supposed to be here - we are happy - hope they are!


The hard part for me is leaving them alone  tonight, and that's where we are now, night time.  There's a small light on and there's a motion light which has gone on a couple of times, but then it got dark and I just had to go check on them.  They were cushing and I guess trying to sleep after a long and very exciting day.  Lefty stood up and looked at me, like what the heck?  Are you going to bother us all night? So I said my good nights, reminded them where their water is and came in!  It has been dark out there ever since, so I guess they're down for the night.  I have never even had an outside dog, so this is really hard for me, but I will get used to it and they will be fine and tomorrow is another day!
Pancho, Lefty, Sammy - Official Arrival Day Photo!

I hope Bill can get some pictures tomorrow as I catch and halter them for the first time all by myself!  He might have to be helping me rather than being the photographer, but we'll see.  I've quit looking out the window every few minutes and actually plan on heading off to bed as soon as I hit publish - so good night from Jack and the alpacas!