Saturday, June 22, 2013

Near Catastrophe!

Last Friday night I was in California and Bill was at home alone with Jack and the Alpacas!  This week I was at home with him and we are thankful that the near catastrophe happened when we were both here.

Jack and I had been out in the back yard visiting with the pacas at the picket fence while dinner finished cooking.  The boys all came over and sniffed him through the fence and he had a blast.  We went in and the boys went back to grazing.  Dinner was ready and Bill went to the kitchen sink to wash his hands and suddenly said, "Bev, I think Lefty has his head caught in the fence!" I ran out the back door through two gates and got to the back of him.  Bill ran to the fence and tried to quiet him.  He had apparently tried to sniff a sunflower and had stretched his neck up and over the fence and when he came down his neck slid between the pickets!  He was trying to pull his head out by moving straight back and he was stuck!  Sammy and Pancho were watching him carefully and Lefty was beginning to panic!  As was I.  I ran up behind him pushed him toward the fence and lifted him up all at one time and his head popped up and out!  He was fine and I took them to the back and locked the gates.  Gave them some food and sat with them for awhile to be sure he was ok. My heart was pounding!  I may not understand why I have them, but I can tell you this showed me how much I love them!

It was a miracle that Bill saw him so soon after it happened and we thanked God all night and still are today!  We also got chicken wire today 12" wide and folded it over the top of the pickets so we don't have to think about this again, but it shows that things can happen so quickly!  And, we really need to look at all parts of the yard and fencing!  So scary, but so thankful that all is well.

I had expected to start writing about my incredible four days in Oregon at the Camelidynamics Clinic, but before I had a chance to think it all out - we had our scare - so next week I hope to start sharing the goodies I learned and some amazing pictures.  For tonight - I just share a picture of my boys and their current "tenant!"

Sleep well, more soon!
You can see how that long neck could slip into a picket space!  EEK!!!!

Cottontail been traveling all over the pasture - boys totally ignore!