Saturday, October 11, 2014

December 2013 Project


I just posted the December 2013 post I found in draft!  Now I would like to post about finally using some of their fiber.  Bill announced that he would like to have a scarf made from fiber from all three boys for Christmas!  Yes he told me this in the month of December!  EEK!

I just learned to knit starting in August or September, started spinning in late July and he wanted a scarf!  Well, if it wasn't for my sweet Bill I wouldn't have three alpacas!  I wouldn't have a spinning wheel and I wouldn't have started knitting without these, so it decided I would try to make it happen!

Making a scarf from fiber is quite different than going to the store, buying yarn and knitting it!  Starting from scratch means digging into the bags of fiber, cleaning it and carding it, spinning and plying it, washing it and then knitting!

So here are pictures to explain what I just said!

Raw fiber from Pancho

Starting the carding process - cleans and puts fiber in place!


Off the carder - now called a batt


Batt separated into sections and ready to spin.

Yarn still on the spool!  One single yarn spun and one to go,
so they can be plied and knitted. 

Plied, washed and drying!  It's yarn and it will soon be a scarf!

Knitting the scarf!  It's Christmas Eve!!!!!
 I spun enough of Lefty (white) and Sam (med brown)
so I could use some of all three for the fringe and Bill got his scarf made from all three boys!


Finished and ready for Christmas

Modeling his scarf Christmas morning!  I think it was only worn once
here in Texas, but it got good use on his trips to Canada.  
Mission complete!  To finish out 2013 I'm going to do one more post with various pictures from the year!  It will follow soon - I promise!