Saturday, October 11, 2014

Year End Catch Up (Started December 2013)

I just started to do a huge catch up post, when I discovered I had written this one in December 2013, saved it as a draft and never hit publish.  I decided it should be posted - after all, late is better than never and I can continue the update from here! So here is last December's post!

Oh my goodness, I just looked at my blog and saw I hadn't posted since July!  This is crazy as I've probably taken a hundred pictures or more since then and soooo much has happened.  Well, that's an exaggeration, but there is some catching up to do.

I think the most important thing is as I said in the last post - the boys are officially ours.  It was this time last year that we picked them out of the herd and chose their names.  We voted on what to name them - would it be Willie and Waylon or Pancho and Lefty as they hadn't been registered.  Pancho and Lefty won.  Sam was was already registered and so no name change could be made.  It is amazing to me that we're quickly creeping up on a year since they moved to our property.  There have been ups and downs, but mostly ups and I'm comfortable now with them being livestock and not house pets!

They still don't want me to touch them, but will put up with it occasionally.  They do come up close to                                             Jack with a fence between them, but would run like crazy if he got on their side!  They love to get a bite or two of food from my hand, but it's only done as a rare treat.  I don't have to call them in any more - they see me heading to the barn and they head there too.  I don't have to rush to close the gates, they have never headed back out, but rather watch what ever I'm doing and patiently wait for their dinner.

In the summer to help with the  Texas heat we hose them.  It's lots of fun for them and for me.  That's the one time that they don't care how close I get as long as I spray their legs and tummies with water.  Pancho loves to lay down and have me place the hose under his tummy !   They all have very different personalities, but, that doesn't keep them from being the best of buds!  The two younger ones love to run and chase each other and play alpaca games.  Sam is a year older and he runs with them some, but mostly watches them with wonderment!  I realized one night when I was with them that the two of us (Sam and I) were like we were at a tennis match watching them run by following them with our heads back and forth!  I got a big laugh out of it and I almost think Sam did too.

And so we approach the first anniversary much happier on all sides.  We're growing used to each other and our ways.  I put up with them and they put up with me and secretly we love each other!

So to catch up I'm just going to post some pictures taken since July and wish everyone a Happy New Year - I will try to be more faithful with posting next year!

Coming in for dinner - love that full moon!

Looks like snow - it's just frost and they love it!

Sweet face - oh my - makes my heart melt!


Well, we all know how that promise to post more worked out!  LOL  There will be another post, maybe even tonight that will pick up where this one left off and catch you up with my life with the pacas!